We do things a little differently here at Knack, and that’s just how we like it:
- Flat: we don’t have project managers or dictates from a CTO. Each engineer is lead on multiple projects and is expected to make major decisions.
- Autonomous: our engineers own their projects, collectively determine technical implementation, and have the freedom to define how they can maximize their impact.
- Engaged: our engineers think of their job as more than just 1s and 0s. Only by engaging with our product, our customers, and our team can they be fully equipped to do their best work.
- Remote: to make this work our engineers are great communicators and are highly involved with hangouts/chat/discussions around both engineering topics and larger company issues.
This isn’t for everyone, but for the right fit this will be the definitive experience of your career. Our goal will be to ensure you are driven and supported to continuously grow and do your best work.
This is a senior position, so we’re looking for a strong track record of shipping code and building products at scale. With that said, we’re not looking for a 100% match on experience or our stack. If you have a history of shipping solid work, we’re interested.
- Implementing new features.
- Optimizing our systems for performance, including speed, reliability, redundancy, and geographic distribution.
- Fixing bugs and issues.
- Working with our success team to address customer issues and concerns.
- Building tools and processes to improve our operations and help us detect and respond to issues.
How you’ll do this:
- Program: ship code every day
- Contribute: we want our engineers to make an impact on the Knack product. This means you’re not just implementing features that have been specified to death. It includes developing ideas, making suggestions, and keeping on top of new tech to understand opportunities.
- Engage: we have enough areas of need where we want to leverage what you’re excited about and use that to make Knack a better product.
- Learn and grow: we do code-reviews, pair-programming, lunch-and-learns, and actively engage in chat to constantly teach and learn.
You won’t have a direct boss but will be working collaboratively with our current engineering team of 6, and with cross-functional teams on specific projects. You’ll also work closely with the founders, Brandon & Eric, on strategy and technical implementations.
Our work is 100% remote. We use Slack, Trello, Google Docs and Google Hangouts to get our work done.
- AWS – we’ve drunk the kool-aid and use AWS across the board.
- Node.js – APIs
- Solr – data search
- MongoDB – data persistence
- Github, Jenkins, Ghost Inspector, Mocha – deployment and testing
- Above all, you build things. You have a history of starting –and completing– projects, whether that’s products, applications, games, libraries, or plugins.
- You’re both a teacher and a learner. You’re not afraid to admit when someone may know more than you. You have the confidence to help others level up.
- You’re an outstanding communicator. You can document a problem, and clearly and succinctly outline a solution. You’re not afraid to distill things into plain English for teammates and customers.
- You have experience working in fast-paced environments, prioritizing and balancing multiple projects, and working with cross-functional teams.
- You want to work on a product you can be proud of that impacts thousands of people all over the world, from non-profits to the world’s biggest companies.
You go all in. You want to do your best work, and have that work make an impact.
Knack is a no-code platform that makes it easy for anyone to build applications and workflows to do amazing things with their data.
Knack launched in 2012 and has been growing steadily as we’ve built our team, perfected our product, and nailed our product-market fit. We’re now ready to take things to the next level and maximize the opportunity for what this product can be.
So why are we different?
- We’re bootstrapped: we’ve had to build something our customers actually pay for. This changes how you do things.
- We’re 100% remote: and have been from the beginning. Every decision we’ve made has been based around optimizing our remote operations.
- We’re small: and we like it that way. We’re more than just chat avatars– we’ve all gotten to know each other, have grown together, and love working with each other.
- We enjoy the journey: we’re in this for the long haul. We’re not chasing an exit or the next round of funding. We’re building something we’re proud of and want to keep improving on.
Benefits & Compensation
- Competitive salaries and generous equity: rather than give up equity to investors to pay engineering salaries, we’ve chosen to give more of that equity to our team while still paying strong salaries.
- Define your work: our only rule is our overlap zone of 11am to 4pm EST. Otherwise find the location, environment, and schedule that is best for your life and work. It’s not about separation, it’s about optimization.
- Unlimited Paid Vacation: take the time you need to stay motivated, charged, and balanced. You’ll get forced days off for birthdays and knackiversaries.
- Paid Corporate Retreats: we get together twice a year at amazing locations to do normal human being things in person. We pay for your flight, lodging, and meals.
- Learning Credits: an annual allowance is provided to stay on top of your game with classes, books, and conferences.
- HealthCare: work in progress. We’ve recently reached team numbers that make offering plans to a remote team feasible and are in conversations with major providers to secure coverage in 2017.
The latest jobs
Front-end Web Designer – Optimal
Optimal is looking for a Front-end Web Designer who is driven to create website user experiences that look amazing and encourage action. This individual should have solid experience with website design and UX. Qualified candidates need to have enough HTML/CSS experience to either develop their own product for the web, modify existing developed work, or efficiently facilitate the creation of their design with an experienced developer. This role involves assisting and collaborating with our talented team to create high-quality products that serve the goals we have for our clients.
In addition to serving as a front-end web designer, this individual would also manage their own small set of clients, as well as produce the majority of the work needed for those clients. We call this role at our company a Full-Stack Marketer. Everyone on our team serves the role of a Full-Stack Marketer to ensure we stay connected to the needs of our clients. Where skill gaps occur, or specific expertise is needed, the Full Stack Marketer can utilize our cross-functional team or our network of highly skilled contractors to produce quality work for our clients.
We’re looking for an individual who is motivated by achieving success for clients, uses data and experience to drive their decisions, and desires to expand their digital marketing skill set.
Requirements Front-end Web Designer
We will be looking for a candidate who is a strong designer and has some front development experience:
- Designer: Create designs optimized for user experience. Collaborate with the team or client to turn ideas into wireframes and prototypes. From these, create polished designs that can be developed.
- Front-end Development: Translate designs into functional pages or elements, using HTML/CSS on WordPress sites that use Advanced Custom Fields or visual builders like Divi.
- Client Management: Serve as the main point-of-contact and as the face of Optimal for a specific set of clients. Travel to in-person with clients (1-2/year) and communicate with them by phone and email. Share deliverables and results of our efforts, understand their needs and goals and maintain positive relationships with these clients.
- Marketing Strategy: Develop & implement strategies and objectives for clients that produce measurable and effective results.
- Be a Team Player: Fill in where needed, assist the team, and collaborate with a group to be successful. Help the business, as a whole, grow through continuous improvement, candid feedback, quality control and process improvement.
- Proven work experience as a web designer
- UX and conversion rate optimization centered design
- Proficiency in Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator or other visual design and wireframing tools
- Front-end Development experience:
- Working on WordPress websites
- Editing/Creating HTML, CSS
- Experience with data analysis tools: Google Analytics, marketing automation software, heatmap/scroll-map software, A/B testing software, etc.
- Able to identify and troubleshoot UX problems
- Proven account management experience
- Able to share rough drafts of designs with teams and clients
- Driven to provide strategic solutions for client needs and problems
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects at a time while paying close attention to detail
- Able to analyze and interpret data according to client priorities and goals
- Is a team player; values collaboration, enjoys learning new things and working with people to accomplish goals
- Values effective time management
- Excellent listening, negotiation and presentation skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Asks great questions and is not afraid to ask for help
- Comfortable with iteration, experimentation, ambiguity, and change (life in tech)
- Autonomy; you decide and take ownership of how work is completed
- Flexible work hours
- Ability to work remote
- Education and growth potential
- Generous vacation and extended leave policy
- Choice of benefit offerings, including HSA contribution, Life, Accident, Long Term/Short Term Disability, Dental, Vision and more.
Appleton WI or Continental US Telecommute
Not your job? Check out our other jobs.
Product Designer – Semaphore
Semaphore is looking for a well-rounded Product Designer (remote). We’re growing our design team and looking for a person who understands product design, business perspective and why we do stuff that we do, but who’s also very good at visual design.
- What will you be working on? Semaphore is a continuous delivery service, focused on speed and simplicity. A tool that helps developers write better code. More on semaphoreci.com.
- Who you’ll be working with? You’ll be closely collaborating with our marketing, product and dev teams, and continuously optimise based on data and information from research. On product design end, in functional and visual aspect, you’ll have support from Design lead and the rest of the product team.
- Who are you? We want you to stand strongly behind your decisions, but to be humble enough to accept that your opinions are challenged all the time as part of the process.
REQUIREMENTS PRODUCT DESIGNER
- Experience. This is a senior position for experienced designers. We need someone who will be a strong addition to our team from day one. Difficult to tell how much exactly, but we’d dare to say at least 4 years working on products.
- Applying. a) Send us the link to your portfolio. And the link to your blog if you are writing one. We’d like to evaluate your visual and your writing skills to be able to understand how do you think about design. b) Send us your CV, although not necessarily very formal, it must be something from what we can learn about your previous work experience.
This is a REMOTE position, but you’re welcomed to work from our Novi Sad office. If working remotely, we would like to have at least 4 hours overlap with 9-5 CET. We offer fair compensation, friendly environment, 20 days of paid vacation + public holidays in your country, unlimited books, paid gym membership and so on.
Good luck applying!
Who We Are
SemaphoreCI.com is a leader in hosted continuous integration and deployment, with over 30,000 developers relying on Semaphore to test and deploy their code. Our mission is to help teams ship their software faster and with more confidence by providing a fast, robust and scalable platform for software delivery.
We work in small, highly effective teams, and every person is vital to the success of the company.
Our team is made of smart, creative people who love their craft. We believe that a great place to work is where we’re surrounded by self-managed people who consistently do good work and positively inspire us.
We work in a fast-changing environment of a new market, and there are many ways you can make a great impact. You will not be just improving the product or customer experience, but have a voice in shaping the company culture too.
Sounds good? Come work with us as a product designer.
Not your job? Check out our other jobs.
Front End Developer – Time Doctor
This is a 100% fulltime remote work and we’re looking for a Front End Developer. We prefer to hire people who have 100% experience in FRONT END development work, not back end. You must be from Europe and Asia to be able to collaborate best with our current dev team is in Asia or Europe. And so it is unlikely (although not impossible) that we will hire in north or south america.
You will be working from home with mostly flexible hours although you will need to attend the team meeting which is at approximately 8:30am GMT and to work for 3 hours after this time for team collaboration (This is 3:30am to 6:30am New York time, so you can see that’s the reason we are not likely to hire in north, central or south america).
What will you be repsonsible for as a Front End Developer
You will be working in a team of around 10 other developers. You will be working on complex bugs, new features, and improvements for the software. The software is the web app of our time tracking software for remote teams.
You are going to get involved into different branching models for version control, and strict coding standards, work with continuous integration.
To be a best fitr for this job you need to
- Be an expert in slicing PSD to HTML
- Have good experience in React.js (2+ years), building web based applications
- Be an expert in twitter bootstrap
- Have a good experience with Angular JS is a plus
To apply, please send your updated resume and cover letter with links to your works in Reactjs and Web Design.
Only applications with ALL the requirements will be accepted.
If you qualify, you will take a test and later go through an interview.
NOTE: You must agree to use our time tracking and monitoring software while at work. This will be the basis for your payment.
About our company and product
Time Doctor is a time tracking and productivity tool. Our software can be used by an individual or a team to track time for tasks and monitor computer activity, such as taking screenshots while you’re working, monitor keyboard and mouse activity and track web app and website usage.
We have a team of over 65 people working 100% remotely in 8 different countries.
Not your job? Check out our other front-end jobs.
Senior Web Designer – netRivals
We are looking for a talented Freelance Senior Web Designer to create amazing user experiences. The ideal candidate should have an eye for clean and artful web design. They should also have superior user interface design skills.
The target is to ensure excellent service standards and maintain high customer satisfaction:
- 5+ years work experience as a web designer
- Demonstrable graphic design skills with a strong portfolio
- Handling of design tools needed, at least Photoshop and Illustrator
- Knowledge acquired about usability and user experience
Requirements Senior Web Designer
- Experience working on SaaS
- Knowledge on Boostrap elements
- Strong knowledge and experience in HTML and CSS
In netRivals we help hundreds of businesses optimize their sales adopting real-time pricing policies. To achieve so, our systems compare millions of products on a daily basis so that our customers are able to find their rivals.
We work in more than 20 countries for big and small customers without discrimination and we are aiming to democratize the analysis of prices and competitors. We want that both retailers and brands get an accurate vision of their markets in real time at an unbeatable price.
Do you want to join us and help our customers become more competitive?
If you are interested in this job opening, please, contact us at email@example.com
Not your job? Check out our other jobs.
Infrastructure Engineer – Auth0
Auth0 is looking for an Infrastructure Engineer to help ensure that our services stay up and running while continuing to rapidly ship software that our customers love. An Infrastructure Engineer is a specialist in creating, deploying and running infrastructure and have a great knowledge of networking, the linux kernel and systems scaling.
We are looking for people that have a passion for building robust infrastructure components that others can reuse and have a track record of working with infrastructure at world scale.
For many companies, Auth0 is a core part of their application infrastructure. Our goal every day is to ensure we’re shipping Developer Joy, and one of the most important ways we internalize this is ensure we provide to a service that is highly available for our cloud-based customers.
- Manage our infrastructure and provide alerting for teams to detect common problems
- Develop and configure a fault tolerant set of CDNs (Content Delivery Networks) to be used by other teams serving content
- Design and develop the backup and restore procedures for storage services
- Collaborate with development teams to introduce and test updated infrastructure components to be delivered as a service
- Respond to on-call pages caused by failures related to the infrastructure services they own
You might be a good fit as a Infrastructure Engineer if you
- Have in-depth knowledge of Linux internals
- Have Salt experience (preferred, but not required if familiar with a complimentary tool)
- Have Python scripting expertise (our preferred language for scripts)
- Have excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Located in Pacific Standard Time (PST), UTC -8
You can learn more about our hiring process here.
Auth0 is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Auth0 conducts all employment-related activities without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, citizenship status, genetics, or status as a Vietnam-era special disabled and other covered veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Not your job? Check out our other jobs.